Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The band so far

I've only received two responses to my request to start a band.  Not too shabby, considering tons of people post in the musicians section of NYC Craigslist.  When I first posted the ad, I almost included a line about how if the band didn't work out, the person should at least be up for drinking some beer.  Turns out that maybe I should have included that line, because the first response I got was from a girl in high school.  Aside from the age, she does have a knowledge of physics (though she said she doesn't want to be in the class, so protests by reading comic books in the back...not sure that qualifies, but hey, at least she read the ad!).  Unfortunately, she plays the keyboard and sings, and wants to make "truly beautiful music."  I just can't allow a high schooler with true musical aspirations into my new "band," because she's never had to rent her own apartment, so I'm not sure that she quite understands the real purpose of my band.  Plus, it's creepy to hang out with a high schooler that you meet on Craigslist, even if it is to be in a band.

The second response, from Frank, was much more promising although he used a lot of emoticons in his response, which always makes me a bit wary.  He sings, but not very well, and is a beginner on the electric guitar.  His musical inspirations include Three Doors Down and Breaking Benjamin, and he wants to play music like that.  Besides the excessive emoticons, he seems like a keeper for the band, mainly because I think his musical tastes will be recognizable to 6N.  He also included a "p.s. say hello to your neighbors!", which I found amusing.


This cat sits in the hallway in our building a lot.  As soon as it sees you, it starts hissing.  I thought it looked funny sitting under the umbrella, so I took a picture, and even managed to capture the evil in his eyes.  Or I just had the camera on the wrong flash setting.


No comments: