Saturday, April 4, 2009

Better than an Advent calendar, but barely.

Last weekend, Joe and I went to the Irish deli near us to get sandwiches, and while we were there, I was reminded that there is another chocolate-eating holiday coming up. I love how several religious holidays revolve around Chocolate...I guess you eat it for 24 days at Advent, give it up for 40 at Lent, then eat 40 days' worth of chocolate at Easter. At least that's how I practice Catholicism, aside from the giving up anything for Lent part. Anyway, given that the Irish deli is, well, Irish, they import a lot of candy, chips and other packaged foods from Ireland. Given that this is the same place where I procured my delicious Cadbury Advent calendar, as soon as I saw the shelves of Cadbury Easter candy I knew I had to try some out, because this stuff was just too novel to pass up. I love me some Cadbury mini eggs this time of year, so I opted for the chocolate Cadbury egg that was supposedly filled with mini-eggs.

Here it is out of the box. It was approximately 1/2 beer tall.

What a cute bunny!

This is where the disappointment started to set it. I opened my egg (conveniently I just needed to lift off the top), and found a pathetic package of 8 mini eggs inside.

Fine, whatever, I still like mini eggs, and there was a pretty good amount of chocolate to eat from the big egg anyway. Oh, but wait, what's that? All my mini eggs are cracked and look like rejects from last Easter?

Well, that's just unacceptable, given that this imported Easter treat cost me $3.99 (2.96 Euros or 2.33 obsolete Ireland Pounds). Luckily, the side of the packaging tells me that if I'm not completely satisfied, I should return the product to Birmingham, UK, or Dublin, Ireland. I went ahead and ate the big chocolate egg, because that was just fine (and it tasted remarkably similar to my Cadbury Advent calendar), and I figured that might be kind of messy to mail back. I will, however, be returning the eggs to their Irish home. Hopefully they do not hatch into chocolate chickens by the time they return home! I will of course let you know how the situation resolves itself.

No comments: